RAMPANT Pwllheli made it a magnificent seven wins from as many matches as they emphatically maintained their defence of the Division One North title with a 71-3 demolition of visitors Ruthin.

In ideal playing conditions at Parc Bodegroes for this top versus bottom clash, Ruthin had started well, and were clearly not intimidated by the vocal home crowd.

In the early phases the packs were even in the scrums and line-outs, but Pwllheli had a faster and more mobile back row.

Ruthin kicked to gain ground, before attacking the Pwllheli line using their heavier players to bludgeon their defence.

The Llyn side were penalised after six minutes for creeping offside, and Ruthin’s Deian Williams kicked the penalty goal.

Pwllheli upped the ante and started to make good ground via their pacy backs.

Wing Osian Parry Jones was the beneficiary on 11 minutes when the Ruthin cover were sliced open, and he was put in the clear to score the try wide out. Parry Jones slotted the difficult touchline conversion.

Three minutes later space was created on Pwllheli’s right wing and Robin Hughes Jones outpaced the would-be tacklers to score close to the far right touchline. Parry Jones added the extras with a fine kick.

Ruthin regrouped and kept the ball tight, and this policy was effective for a while, but almost inevitably Pwllheli threatened whenever they had the ball.

With the home side beginning to edge the scrums, Pwllheli’s captain and scrum half Nick Butterworth took advantage of a retreating Ruthin pack to crash through a gap in defence and Parry Jones converted.

Ruthin worked very hard to stabilise the match and had several incisive incursions into Pwllheli’s half. The home defence remained organised and committed, however, as their teamwork came to the fore.

Turning the screw, Pwllheli began to dominate territory and possession, and on 43 minutes Butterworth was given a secure platform to attack Ruthin’s line – and he duly obliged to score his team’s fourth and try bonus wining score. Osian Parry Jones’ kick took the half time score 28-3.

Having travelled with only 16 players, Ruthin’s efforts gradually began to wane and they were breached by a strong run by Kiwi player Kalim Kelemete, and Jones slotted over the straight-forward kick.

Pwllheli introduced their bench and fresh legs provided extra impetus as Man of the Match Huw Williams scored, with the conversion attempt hitting the post.

Three minutes later, Williams also stormed over for another unconverted try.

Although Ruthin’s players never gave up, they were overwhelmed as a dominant Pwllheli scored another four tries .

Kelemete completed his hat-trick with two further tries and substitute Deio Brunelli and Butterworth also scored, with Parry Jones adding two conversions.

Pwllheli now focus on their tough away draw with Ynysddu in round two of the Swalec Plate. The Gwent side are currently going really well in Division Two East in third position. Kick off is at 2.30pm.

The team coach will leave the club at 7.30am prompt on Saturday, 29 October.

• Pwllheli Seconds impressed against a much bulkier Caernarfon Seconds at Bodegroes to claim a 27-14 bonus point win.

Source: Cambrian News